How to Replace the Window Rubbers on a Corvette C4
- 1). Roll down the window on which you are replacing the seal. Disconnect the positive terminal from the battery using a 5/16-inch wrench.
- 2). Use the Phillips screwdriver to remove the screws holding the door speaker, door panel and door slide. Pull the door panel loose several inches with your hand, and disconnect the wires for the electrical switches in the door panel. If the electrical connectors are difficult to disconnect, try using a regular screwdriver. Store the removed door panel in an area safe from damage.
- 3). Use a 7 mm socket to remove the forward and aft door seals. You may need to pry the seals with screwdriver to expose the rivets.
- 4). Loosen, but do not remove, the anti-rattle felt holders with a 10 mm socket.
- 5). Drill out the rivets holding in the seal. You can remove the head of the rivet by drilling the head off with a 13/64-inch drill bit.
- 6). Pry the door seal loose with your fingers from the clips holding it, and remove the remaining portions of the three rivets using a pair of pliers.
- 7). Place the new seal in the spot where the old clips were. Rivet in the new replacement seal with the rivet gun.
- 8). Retighten the anti-rattle felt bolts with the 10 mm socket. Bolt the door seals, front and aft, into their original position with the 7 mm socket.
- 9). Reconnect the electrical connections on the door panel. Reinstall the door panel with the Phillips screwdriver using all the screws you removed.
Reconnect the positive terminal to the battery using the 5/16-inch wrench. Roll the window up and down to confirm that all the pieces are correctly aligned.