How to Replace the Serpentine Belt on a 2002 Z71 5.3L Motor
- 1). Open the hood on your 2002 Chevrolet Z71 and locate the serpentine belt routing diagram on the top passenger's side of the fan shroud. Use the routing directions in this diagram to install the new belt around the accessory pulleys.
- 2). Locate the automatic belt tensioner on the front of the engine. The tensioner for the 5.3-liter engine is located below the power steering pump. Use the square hole at the top of the tensioner to turn the tensioner device.
- 3). Slide the square end of a 3/8-inch drive breaker bar into the square hole at the top of the tensioner. Turn the tensioner counterclockwise to release tension from the belt. Slide the belt out from under the roller pulley attached to the tensioner.
- 4). Release the tensioner and finish removing the belt from all of the accessory pulleys. Slide the belt around each fan blade then pull it out of the engine compartment.
- 5). Match the old belt to the new one to ensure that the new belt is the proper size. Then, slide the new belt around each fan blade and onto each accessory pulley as directed by the serpentine belt routing diagram.
- 6). Turn the tensioner counterclockwise again and slide the new belt under the roller pulley. Release the tensioner and remove the breaker bar.
- 7). Inspect the belt to ensure that it is properly routed and the belt is seated inside of all of the pulleys. Crank the engine for 10 seconds then turn it off.
- 8). Examine the belt to make sure it is completely seated within each accessory pulley. Then close the hood.